Management Timeline

Home Photo Galleries Reminiscences Favorites Contact Us

Photo Galleries

El Salvador
Grace Line
Photo Additions


Senior Staff

Andes Copper Mining Company

1925 to 1975 

Prepared by Frank Trask III

Charles Brinkerhoff was transferred as General Manager-Chuiquicamata, where he was later put in charge of the Chuqui Sulphide Project. He was promoted again as General Manager-South America, thence to VP- South America on the death of Tom Campbell. In the first of many appointments triggered by the discovery of Indio Muerto, Charles was appointed in charge of the Indio Muerto Project in 1954, and made President -elect in 1957 of Anaconda.

Norbert Francis Koepel was promoted to Assistant Manger, South America, and placed in direct charge of the Indio Muerto Project in 1954, being resident in Potrerillos. He was transferred to New York in 1957 to assume the VP-South America position vacated by C. Brinkerhoff. He moved to New York and died in office in 1963.

Harold E Robbins was promoted from Mine Superintendent to General Superintendent in 1954 with orders to take over the actual supervision of the development of Indio Muerto. He was promoted up to Assistant Manager- El Salvador somewhere around 1961, and was sent to Cerro Verde in Peru to be the General Manager of what was to be a new Andes Copper Mine. After his retirement, he worked for the Soriano interests in the Philippines, saving a block cave mine that has been lost in an accidental disaster. Many men thought that this was the best work of one of the great mining careers that the world has known.

John Hoffman was transferred from Mine Superintendent- Potrerillos to VP- Mining of Anaconda in 1957. He died from a massive heart attack at El Salvador in 1963. John was marked for high office from his youth, and his loss was crucial to the future of The Anaconda Company.

Walter March left Andes to become the Director of the Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology at Butte, Montana.

Bill Swenson was transferred to the Exploration Department in the USA where he served with distinction as a Senior Geologist for many years until his retirement.

Edward Brinley was transferred to the Port Arthur, Ontario office of Anaconda to run Canadian Exploration in 1955. He served Anaconda in various exploration positions up to the mid 1970 era.

Frank Trask, Jr. was transferred to Chuquicamata as Chief Geologist-South America in 1965. In 1971 he was made Chairman of a Business Evaluation Unit that worked at large within the Anaconda Co, and then served as Chief Geologist-Montana, and later as Head of Exploration. He retired in 1978, and continued to travel to El Salvador as a consultant to Codelco until his death in 1994.

John Pryor Hunt was transferred as Head of Exploration Western US in 1965, thence to Head of Exploration, and finally as Chief Geologist- Anaconda Company. He left this position to take up private exploration and teaching at Scripps at San Diego.

Lewis Gustafson transferred to the Exploration Department where he worked on copper deposits of the Philippines. He resigned to the become Professor of Economic Geology at the ANU, Canberra, Australia.

The position of Plant Superintendent is not listed after 1958 simply due to ignorance on the part of the author. Frank Trask,III. Any additional information would be nice to get.